A A A
Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSSsp_Related Related Topics sp_TopicIcon
Win a CVA-500 Viola
Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
Violaman
Admin
May 21, 2012 - 4:50 pm
Forum Posts: 548
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
21sp_Permalink sp_Print

The contest is on. May the best video or most deserving contestant win the viola. I wish you could all three win.exactly

READ ALL ABOUT IT!!!

TerryT
Members
May 21, 2012 - 6:21 pm
Forum Posts: 2
22sp_Permalink sp_Print

Voting choice is really tough! Those are 3 great. Ideos, but now I think I have whittled my choice down to one of 2.
Still a difficult decision!
Am I allowed to ask for £5 notes to help my decision along?
*****noooooo! I am only joking!!!*******
(it would have to be at least a few £10 notes)dancinbunny

Jessica
Members
May 21, 2012 - 6:42 pm
Forum Posts: 18
23sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have to say this isn't the experience I was expecting when I entered this contest. I think we can both agree that I have been pretty patient in all this time. I understand your expectations but I think it's safe to say nobody else will enter. I think in order to respect the effort of the participants you really need to move onto the next step in the process. I really don't agree with rolling a dice to choose the winner. I personally put in over 20 hours into my video and I think others who put in more effort should have a better chance of winning.
This contest did not reflect the expectations I had for this website and I hope it an be resolved fairly and professionally.

Fiddle4Fun
Members
May 21, 2012 - 8:54 pm
Forum Posts: 6
24sp_Permalink sp_Print

Awww, man, I have to choose?  How long is the vote going for? I need some time to think on this.

I don't know which is more troubling: having to pick a video or being back to the math.  *grumble grumble* (mumbles) Always knew the viola stuff and fiddle stuff should be merged. sf-wink

@Jessica_1-- How did you come up with the idea for claymation?  There's gotta be a great story there.

Fiddle4Fun
Members
May 21, 2012 - 10:21 pm
25sp_Permalink sp_Print

Oh, May 29th.  I still have time to think about it.  (Yeah, I just saw the other post.  Awareness FAIL. facepalm)

Jessica
Members
May 21, 2012 - 10:37 pm
26sp_Permalink sp_Print

@Fiddle4Fun I have no idea how I came up with the claymation idea. I wish there was a cool story :) I saw the contest and started looking through my crafts and randomly found clay haha yeah halfway through I realized claymation is no joke! So I'll probably never put myself through that again dancing

Scarecrow
Members

Regulars
May 21, 2012 - 10:37 pm
Forum Posts: 42
27sp_Permalink sp_Print

Fiddle4Fun said

Oh, May 29th.  I still have time to think about it.  (Yeah, I just saw the other post.  Awareness FAIL. facepalm)

LOL! I'm kinda torn, too. I mean claymation, amirite?
Glad I got a couple a days. Not to late to bribe me. sf-cool

Fiddle4Fun
Members
May 21, 2012 - 11:00 pm
28sp_Permalink sp_Print

Wow, Jessica.  I figured you for a fine arts type after seeing your work.  Is art a profession or a hobby?  Either way, I am impressed.

Violaman
Admin
May 23, 2012 - 1:45 pm

Jessica said
I have to say this isn't the experience I was expecting when I entered this contest. I think we can both agree that I have been pretty patient in all this time. I understand your expectations but I think it's safe to say nobody else will enter. I think in order to respect the effort of the participants you really need to move onto the next step in the process. I really don't agree with rolling a dice to choose the winner. I personally put in over 20 hours into my video and I think others who put in more effort should have a better chance of winning.
This contest did not reflect the expectations I had for this website and I hope it an be resolved fairly and professionally.

Jessica, I was very happy with your video and was actually hoping you would win but your attitude is not what I had hoped for at all. The rules have not changed much I just waited for the three entries that I was going to have the members choose from as I did mention on the first contest post. It took a month more than I expected but I always said that the members would vote for the videos. Why don't you vote for yourself and encourage members to vote for you?

You shouldn't enter any competitions in the future if you expect too much. You make accusations but then you don't even come back to discuss it with us when we try. You say that you hope that the contest can be resolved fairly and professionally but no detail to how that can be done. I choose not to draw the winner from a hat but you still made that comment. Maybe you have not been paying attention and would like to make an apology for what you wrote. I for one am hurt by your comments. I pay for shipping these instruments out of my pocket and they are not lined with money. Also the results are not producing many visits to violaman. One winner was even from the Philippines and I shipped it there as well without changing the rules or asking for the winner to pay for shipping.

Jessica
Members
May 23, 2012 - 7:51 pm
30sp_Permalink sp_Print

@Violaman - ouch that was a bit harsh I think. I was just trying to say that I was a little frustrated that the deadline had been pushed back and missed a few times now that's all. Plus I didn't know there was a 2nd page of comments (because I used my crappy phone to check the site, my bad) so I didn't know that the contest had already started. And with my mad marketing skills I got nearly 350 views on my video, so I don't know if you can say that the contest hasn't brought extra attention to the website.

@Fiddle4Fun - Art is definitely just a hobby! I do photography for fun so this was just a very tedious version of one of my hobbies. And thanks! banana

@Scarecrow - Shall I send the money through the mail? sf-wink 

Jessica
Members
May 23, 2012 - 7:57 pm
31sp_Permalink sp_Print

Oh and I officially cast a vote for myself!

Sorry @HeadCheese, but don't worry, you came in at a close second if that makes you feel better laugh

Jessica
Members
May 29, 2012 - 9:41 pm
32sp_Permalink sp_Print

So I know violaman went offline for awhile but now when people I know try to vote for me and try and come to the website, all that come up are adds or terrifying malware attacks. Is anybody else getting this? I myself am only able to come to the site about half the time I try, the other half I get weird pop ups. That kinda sucks, especially when the contest has come down to the wire and all sf-frown

HeadCheese
Honorary Advisor
Regulars

Members
May 29, 2012 - 10:43 pm
Forum Posts: 355
33sp_Permalink sp_Print

The site got hacked by spammers, I think. cussing

There's more information in this thread:

https://violaman.com/forum/news.....ck-online/

NoirVelours
Members
May 30, 2012 - 1:12 am
Forum Posts: 10
34sp_Permalink sp_Print

Jessica, everyone was seeing those adds for a couple days, it did not last too long though, everyone still have time to vote.

NoirVelours
Members
May 30, 2012 - 3:57 am
35sp_Permalink sp_Print

Crazy amount of new votes in the last 2 hours (if contest ends at midnight that is)! coocoo

Violaman
Admin
May 30, 2012 - 4:06 am
36sp_Permalink sp_Print

Wow wow wee wow,

Stayed up to watch the results of the polls and it looked like HC all the way until the last seconds. It appears to be a tie.

I'll take a look at all the IP's tomorrow. Also, will look at how many of these new registered users (Got a ton yesterday) have posts.

I am thinking that I'll either send an email to all the voters as to why they would like their choice to win the viola, or I'll ask you all to vote openly right here on the forum. The problem is that I don't know most of the newly registered members.

Please consider participating if you voted.

Unfortunately, only one viola is being given away.

chicknlil
Members
May 30, 2012 - 4:12 am
Forum Posts: 1
37sp_Permalink sp_Print

I played a violin when I was younger - had to stop when I had a bad break of my arm, and never picked it up again.  I know that violin does not equal viola.

Why'd I register?  Because a deserving, talented young lady who does enjoy playing made a strong effort to win her own Viola.  I think that's admirable, and that type of effort deserves reward.

I'll readily admit that it'll seem quite shady to me if an "Admin" who entered at the last minute wins over someone who, for quite a bit, was the only entry.

But hey, to each your own.  I know I did the right thing - I hope I'm not the only one who will be though.

mikehancho
Members
May 30, 2012 - 5:04 am
Forum Posts: 1
38sp_Permalink sp_Print

Is the contest over already? In my time zone there's still an hour left. That might add some discrepancies to the voting.

I have to say, as a new member I'm not a fan of this contest. I don't personally know Jessica and am not one of the people who joined just to vote but even I can see this contest has gotten ugly.

I think she made a very artistic and strong effort to win this contest and that should be recognized. After reading this post I can she that she has been waiting around for a long time to see the end of this. I wouldn't have even said anything if I hadn't read the responses in the chatbox. The other members have been fairly cruel to her all night. They have accused her of cheating over and over again. This has upset me alot. I just hope she wasn't around to read it...

And I personally don't blame her for having friends sign up to vote as she is new and wouldn't know anyone here anyway. I think that advantage goes to HeadCheese. It really didn't say anywhere that that was against the rules, and why would it be? I've deducted that the point of the contest was to draw in new members. But when the members come sign up and see the members accusing their friend of cheating, why would they stay?
Even as an outsider I can see this contest has gotten out of hand. If I can add two more cents, I have to say Pierre wasn't too overly friendly to that young lady towards the end either so I can see why some may see this contest as "fishy". I don't think it's right to ask people why they voted for the video they voted for. That's getting to be a bit much don't you think? Perhaps to be fair you should post the IP addresses of all those who voted? Both to finally declare who won, and to clear Jessica's name? Or maybe go based on the number of youtube views? That seems to be more fair even with my slightly biased opinion ;)

Ahhh well there I go off on a rant. And to think I just came to this site just to watch videos!serenade

Jessica
Members
May 30, 2012 - 5:41 am
39sp_Permalink sp_Print

Wow! A lot has gone down in the last few hours I see. It was torture sitting at work all night not knowing who wonbored

@chicknlil - thank you so much! Those were really kind words and I appreciate them. It's nice to know someone recognizes my effort, thanks for voting for me!

@mikehancho - thank you? sf-smile That was quite the rant but I appreciate the overall sentiment. Unfortunetly my friends sent me messages of what happened on the chat box so I did hear a lot of it sf-frown I won't lie, it was really hurtful hearing some of the things people were saying especially when they don't know me. I really appreciate people like you sticking up for me though, especially since I don't even know you. Maybe we can play some viola together or something!

@Violaman - oh boy here we are again. The contest that never ends huh? I admit that I asked my friends and family to sign up and vote for me. I didn't think that was against the rules. That was never stated. But I thought getting more members was the point? According to the bottom of the page, there was more members online tonight then ever before, so is that really a bad thing? And I made quite a few friends in my viola class at my University so I don't think its safe to say all those people joined just to vote. And I very clearly specified that people shouldn't vote more than once. I don't believe in cheating and that makes it all the more painful when people accuse me of it. I have to say, as someone who entered this contest over two months ago expecting it to be over in two weeks, I'm not a fan of dragging this contest on anymore. Go ahead and check IP's, I didn't cheat and nobody cheated for me that I know of. I have nothing to hide. But please don't start up more voting or having people explain why they voted or such. It's just getting to be too much.
Maybe we could just go based on youtube views like mikehancho said sf-wink 

NoirVelours
Members
May 30, 2012 - 11:59 am
40sp_Permalink sp_Print

No one was accused of cheating, there was a discussion on how to make future contest (if there are any) with stricter and more fair rules though. We all though it was strange to see that many votes that late in the contest but it was on both side! Like I said on the chatbox, may the winner enjoy their new instrument!

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 228
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 19
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today None
Upcoming None
Top Posters:
HeadCheese: 355